Monday, February 20, 2012

Mere Christianity

I'm taking a break from studying to write about one of my assignments this week. Seems a little weird, right? This week for my Fantasy class we're reading this:



I have been so ready to read it this semester! We have finally gotten to it and it has not disappointed me. C.S. Lewis is a genius. I've read two other books of his before. (You may be wondering why we're reading this for a "Fantasy" class. We're actually reading the Chronicles of Narnia, which ARE fantasy stories and also by Lewis. We're using Mere Christianity to kind of compare with his writing of Narnia. I'm not complaining...FINALLY something we're reading that really matters in the grand scheme of things!) Anyway, here is one of my favorite exerpts from the book so far.

"God is the only comfort. He is also the supreme terror: the thing we most need and the thing we most want to hide from. He is our only possible ally, and we have made ourselves His enemies."


I highly recommend reading this book! It will really open your eyes to things in Christianity and also just in humanity itself. He really "sees" people and puts things in such a "duh" way that you wonder how you never noticed it before. By the half-way mark smoke was coming out of my ears...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Harper Grace

I love how that wild patch of hair in the center of the back of your head. I love how you say, “mama, where are you?” when I walk out of th...